Thursday, March 21, 2024

"Comparison is the Thief of Joy"

 Look at me! Writing twice in one week! Lucky you, all the nine people who read this. But I really just do it because I enjoy typing my random thoughts. Hey, that is in my description of my blog. 😂

Anyways, a couple of years ago, in my blog, I wrote about music and how it make a huge impact in my thoughts and feelings. Like you want me to feel something, write it in a song. I was in band for 7 years and my family has always been big into music. I recently join the worship team at church because of my love for music. I'm no singer but I am there because I love to sing worship songs and all. My sister was in like her own band (singing and guitar type band. Also in band and played the french horn) and my brother has his own thing going where he goes and plays music at different venues. (He was also french horn player in band) If you live in the San Antonio area, be on the lookout for when he performs. It's a great time!! Anyways, songs really get me to think and feel. 

I have had one song stuck in my head and thinking about for a couple of days now. The song is by Matthew West called "The Me You Made." Listen. This song spoke to me. I've heard it a million times because my kids love Matthew West (also sings great classics like "Quarantine Life" and "Gobble Gobble" plus many other great songs) and Zoe, especially, loves this particular song. So as you can imagine, it's played often in the car on the way to school. Here is the music video for you to have a little listen:


The jist of the song is to not compare yourself to other people's lives and just being you. God made you who you are. You are an individual so why would you want to be someone else? I know I've been there so many times. As a teenager, always wishing I was different. Wishing I could have awesome hair and no freckles. Wanting to be shorter because I was taller than everyone else. Even as an adult, I still struggle with who I am. I see people on Facebook or movies or where it is I am wasting my time and I see how perfect their lives seem to be. But to quote a classic movie, Just Married (Shout out to my bestie, Emily) "You never see the hard days in a photo album..." And it's true! People aren't going to post the real stuff in their Facebook posts (Although, you do have people that share WAY too much 😂) And to be honest, do you really want to see depressing photos all throughout your Insta and Facebook. Not really. And it may make you feel better about yourself for a second but then you will feel sad for those people. Haha!  

The point is, I absolutely love that my kids love this song. It is teaching them a great thing. God made them to be who they are and it would break my heart to know that Zoe wanted to be different or look different. She is amazing and beautiful and I want everyone else to see that. I point her out because she is getting to that age where girls start wearing make up and try to look older than they are. The time of life when girls start really comparing themselves to others. I think Zoe is just a natural beauty and doesn't need to alter anything. Except to maybe brush her hair once in a while. But we are making progress in that area. 😂 I want all my kids to feel comfortable in their own skin and not compare themselves to other people. I will add on that I am not all for just like not making changes. So if they decide they want to eat better and exercise, you know I am all for that. But I want them to do that for themselves. Not because they are trying to be like someone else, if that makes sense. 

"Comparison is the thief of joy..." That is my favorite line in that song and I have definitely heard it many times. In fact, I know Adam has told me that a time or two because I struggle with comparison A LOT. So when I heard this song the other day, I was like duh! And for some reason it just hit me real hard and about bawled in the car. As a mom, I compare myself to other mom's all the time. Like oh my gosh, that mom is so cool, I wish I could be like her. She dresses cool and has great hair and she like makes everything for her kids. Always has snacks. She is super involved, etc. And here I am hanging on by thread trying to just get my kids out the door with shoes on and if they are lucky, their hair may or may not be brushed and up in a ponytail. It's complete chaos! But comparing myself and trying to be someone else is not bringing me joy. It's bringing me anxiety and stress. I'm trying to live that non-anxious life I was talking about in my last post. God made me. He gave this amazing and large family. My kids are awesome and we have so many great times. We may not go on these super awesome vacations and have all the money to do all the fun things. But we laugh. We have fun. And we love. Why would I want it to be any other way or to be anyone else? Such a waste of time! God doesn't make mistakes y'all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment